Translate

Friday, October 2, 2009

Do you think it's really possible...?


To have a long and successful career in the fashion industry? I'm not talking about becoming a designer. That's in a bracket by itself. I'm talking about becoming a visual or fashion merchandiser,assistant to the editor,retail store manager or a writer for a major fashion company/magazine. Fashion is THE hardest industry to break into. You have to know people alot of people. It's a long ladder to climb to get to the top.
You know for the intern or entry level positions in the industry it's unpaid,they want college students so they can give the student college credits rather than pay.If you really sift through fashion jobs you'll find maybe a handful of paying entry level jobs. Guess what they don't pay much and there's a ton of men and women vying for them. They'll be alot of suffering and hard times with money especially for the first years.
After that five years more higher level jobs are available to you. Get yourself out there. Start a blog,network, Do alot of internships. Gain that experience,feed your passion and get that money;)

P.S-I've been thinking about what I want to do as a career. Because I really don't have a clue. I'm been looking into more "realistic" career choices. So a physician's assistant sounds really good to me,right now. But my feelings could change but I'm not completely shunning having a fashion career:)

2 comments:

Claire said...

I know what you mean, I want to do something in fashion too. Whenever I say that people say its not gonna happen because its so competitive, but I'm not giving up :)

http://peachpiefashion.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

It's very competitive! Never give up on your dream:)